Melton Foundation SDG Innovation Challenge 2022
Application Deadline: 4 September 2022
You are young, African, and want to work together with like-minded people committed to making a difference from the grassroots level up? This ideathon is open to students, professionals, community activists, changemakers and interested folk in Africa :
The SDG Innovation Challenge is back! This year, participants ideate under the challenge theme ‘Transformative Solutions against Global Challenges – Accountability in Leveraging Youth Action to Create and Empower’. Register your group by 4 September 2022 at 8 PM Greenwich Mean Time, and take a chance at creating Africa’s next Winning Sustainable Solution idea!
Designed as a virtual, pan-African ideation space, the SDG Innovation Challenge is a power-house for young people from across the continent to come together in developing and connecting practical solution ideas to grassroots challenges while pushing the needle of sustainable development on a global scale. Conceived in the pandemic era in 2020, this challenge calls upon participants to employ their design and complex thinking skills that solve problems in a measurable and qualitative manner. The pandemic left a debilitating imprint: according to the World Bank, COVID-19 has pushed nearly 40 million people into extreme poverty in Africa and harmed the economy and livelihoods in multiple ways.
The force of innovation has the power to set the engine of sustainable growth running, developing initiatives that build resilience, aid lesser privileged sections of the population, alleviate environmental stress, and so on! Moreover, we emphasize on collaboration and partnerships, in alignment with SDG 17 (Partnerships to achieve the goals), as a central axis around which our efforts are oriented!
With this background, we present the SDG Innovation Challenge 2022, which builds upon its precedents to create a bigger space for expanded outreach and wider horizons! Under the theme Transformative Solutions against Global Challenges – Accountability in Leveraging Youth Action to Create and Empower, the SDG Innovation Challenge converges young talent with three primary goals:
- to trigger fresh thinking by connecting innovators from diverse backgrounds and sectors.
- to develop practical, impact-oriented solution ideas through cross-boundary collaboration.
- to ignite transformative action towards sustainable development and improved livelihoods of communities across Africa.
The SDG Innovation Challenge is where motivated young Africans come together to co-develop practical innovations that further sustainable development of their local communities. There are numerous reasons to participate; here are a few of them:
- Access to an unorthodox, dynamic, and diverse platform of youth activists, organizations, and legislators – Tap into a conducive online space to converge around practical SDG solutions!
- A much-needed opportunity to visualize and implement the SDGs at the grassroots level – Participate in the making of our future, and jumpstart your involvement in the sustainable development agenda as an active, passionate global citizen.
- Immense networking potential – Build connections, and be part of a community of practice around eco-systemic, collaborative solutions.
- A space to exercise your global citizenship muscle – Sharpen and hone skills in leadership, innovation, cross-sector collaboration, analytic thinking, interpersonal communication, intercultural communication, and allied areas.
- Sourcing diversity of thought, background, and sector – Collaborate with people from a plethora of domains, be it engineering, design, civic policy, social justice reform, project management, finance, education, and many others.