The Brenthurst Foundation is inviting applications from young graduates for the Machel-Mandela Fellowship Programme, an internship named in honour of former South African President Nelson Mandela and his wife Graca Machel. The Machel-Mandela Fellowship programme aims to be the most prestigious internship of its kind in Africa. It helps sharpen the Brenthurst Foundation’s focus on Africa’s burgeoning youth population and helps nurture Africa’s future leaders.
Application Deadline: February 28th, 2022 – Click here to apply
The Fellowship will be available full-time for a minimum of six months. The selected candidate will be expected to take up the appointment in May 2022. The Fellow may be from South Africa or farther afield. They will be based at the Brenthurst Foundation’s headquarters in Parktown, Johannesburg. Fellows will work directly with and assist the Foundation’s staff on a range of projects and activities, some of which will require foreign travel. The Fellow is expected to perform a wide range of tasks from writing a discussion paper on a topic related to economic development to assisting with the hosting of events and mucking in with office chores.
Follow us on Facebook
An all-inclusive stipend per month and accommodation, if required (subject to Foundation policy) will be provided. Other work–related expenses may also be covered subject to agreement with the Foundation.
- Under 30 years of age
- A Masters level degree
- Excellent spoken and written English. African and other languages would be an asset.
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiastic and reliable, a self-starter who requires minimal oversight and management
- Able to balance deadlines and attention to detail
- Fluency in all basic IT skills
- Copy-editing and proof-reading skills an asset
- A passion for Africa and a keen interest in new thinking and strategies to strengthen Africa’seconomic performance.
- Broad knowledge of African politics and economics
- Familiarity with the work of the Brenthurst Foundation (please consult the website :www.thebrenthurstfoundtion.org)
Please address your application to Ms Leila Jack at [email protected] quoting ‘Machel-Mandela Fellow Internship’ in the subject line.
You will need to send:
- An up-to-date CV with referees’ details
- A covering letter – no more than 500 words, outlining your interest in the position and the skills you can bring to bear
- A writing sample – this can be any piece of work, for example an essay or a published article, of any length.
- The earliest date you would be able to start.
- Details of where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is 28 February 2022. Owing to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from us by 31 March 2022, please assume your application unfortunately to be unsuccessful.