ITU is organizing a global competition to select the first group of “Generation Connect Gender Champions.” The competition, funded by the Government of Canada, will select twelve (12) outstanding young women (ages 18-24) from developing countries (2 from each ITU region).
Application Deadline: April 5th, 2022 – Click here to apply
This competition is part of the preparatory process for the Generation Connect Global Youth Summit, to be organized by ITU in Kigali, Rwanda from June 2-4, 2022. The Summit is the overarching initiative of the ITU Youth Strategy on the journey to the World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC), to be held from 6 to 16 June, also in Kigali.
Generation Connect aims to engage global youth and encourage their participation as equal partners alongside the leaders of today’s digital change, empowering young people with the skills and opportunities to advance their vision of a connected future.
Benefits for the Gender Champions:
- Successful applicants will be expected to travel to the Generation Connect Global Youth Summit, to be held in Kigali, Rwanda from June 2-4, 2022. The cost of travel and accommodation will be covered by ITU.
- Before the Summit, the Champions will be expected to facilitate an online consultation on youth, gender, and technology. The results of this consultation will inform the development and hosting of a session for other young delegates and global policymakers at the Summit.
- After the Summit, there will be a second, action-oriented consultation process to co-create plans to empower young women and girls to meaningfully engage with ICTs and STEM. Thus, the Gender Champions will contribute to a shared goal of gender equality.
- Note that the expected commitment for these activities will be approximately 5-10 hours per week.
- Open to young women aged 18 to 24, from developing countries 
- Must be willing and able to attend the Generation Connect Global Youth Summit in Kigali, Rwanda from 2-4 June, 2022.
- Must have intermediate to strong English fluency
- Must fill in all mandatory fields of the application form before the end date
NOTE: Of the 12 candidates, 2 will be selected from each ITU Region.
The ITU Regions are: Africa, Americas, Arab States, Asia and the Pacific, Commonwealth of Independent States, and Europe.