Deadline for Applications: 15 November 2023
The Shaping Futures: African-European Network on Development and Sustainability Academy (Shaping Futures Academy), formerly known as the BMZ African-German Leadership Academy (African Academy) is a dialogue and training programme targeted at early to mid-career professionals from participating African, (Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Togo, and Zambia) and European (EU, EEA, and UK) countries. The Shaping Futures Academy aims to empower future leaders on both continents by bringing together like- minded peers to reflect on their roles in their respective communities and institutions and develop strategies on how they can induce or support change processes for a transformation to sustainability in the present and future contexts.
The Shaping Futures Academy targets early to mid-career professionals from participating African (Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Togo and Zambia) and European (EU, EEA and UK) countries.
- be a national or permanent resident of one of the participating countries
- be 25 – 40 years old*
- work on issues relevant for sustainable development and governance
- have at least three years’ work experience (non-remunerated experience is also recognised)
- have the support of their employer (written support required as part of application)
- have a very good command of the English language (equivalent to B2 level of the CEFR)
- be respectful of other cultures
- be open to teamwork, reflection and a broad variety of working methods
- have a valid passport (at the time of travel)
*older applicants, who have taken longer periods of parental leave, may be considered.
How to apply
For full information about the Shaping Futures Academy 2024 please refer to the Academy Brochure.
To apply to become a participant, you will need to submit the following documents in pdf format, via the application portal:
- Application Form Part I: Applicant’s statement – To be completed and signed by the applicant.
- Application Form Part II: Employer statement of support –To be completed, signed and stamped by the employer.
- Diploma – Copy of diploma or certificate (in English, French or English translation) of the highest professional qualification and/or university degree
Please make sure to read the Conditions for Participation before you apply. Only complete applications will be considered.
Format and Content
The Shaping Futures Academy is grounded on three essential elements that contribute to capacity development: knowledge, action and leadership.
- The knowledge element offers participants the space to exchange and jointly learn about the themes of governance and sustainability, on both a global and local level. In the academic modules, participants strengthen their analytical capabilities through engagement with different concepts and the direct interaction with diverse scientific and practice-oriented stakeholders. This includes encounters in discussions, workshops and site-visits to selected institutions.
- The action elements offer participants the opportunity to combine and expand their knowledge and skills as well as to put them into practice. Working independently in small and changing group constellations, participants collectively develop mini-projects and assignments that allow them to connect their various expertise in diverse learning formats.
- The leadership element focusses on developing individual and collective competencies, including strengthening dialogue skills, problem solving, exchanging perspectives, teamwork, reflecting on one’s values, and building strong and trustful relationships, which will also benefit the participants’ home institutions.
The programme, delivered in a block format, utilizes a range of training methods used to cultivate learning, including but not limited to facilitated sessions, workshops, open space and bar camp formats, presentations, discussions, excursions, expert interviews, and role-play. The Shaping Futures Academy works under the premise that knowledge acquisition is not passive but requires open and active engagement. Through collaborative peer learning, participants benefit from an exchange of different perspectives, hone their critical thinking skills, and develop shared values
The format of the Academy is based on the training concept developed in the frame of the MGG Academy.
Thank you for visiting Rising Africa, the blog that celebrates African success stories and shares life-changing opportunities for the African youth. We are passionate about empowering the next generation of African leaders and innovators with the knowledge and skills they need to thrive in the global arena.
One of the ways we do this is by providing you with the latest information on scholarships and funding opportunities that can help you pursue your academic, professional, and entrepreneurial goals. Whether you are looking for undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate scholarships, or funding for your startup and business ideas, we have something for you. Check out our scholarship and funding page to find out more and apply today. Don’t miss this chance to make your dreams come true!
To inspire you further, we also feature stories of successful Africans who have benefited from these scholarships and funding opportunities. You can read about their journeys, challenges, and achievements on our blog. Learn from their experiences and get motivated to follow their footsteps. You too can be a Rising African!