Deadline for Applications: December 8, 2023
TechGirls is a U.S.-based summer exchange program designed to empower and support young women (ages 15-17) from the United States and select countries around the world to pursue higher education and careers in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields through hands-on skills development training.
In 2024, the program will support 111 young women from 37 participating countries/territories and 13+ U.S. peers in a dynamic four-week U.S.-based experience with a seven-month mentoring program (including pre-and post-exchange).
Since 2012, TechGirls has trained and mentored 653 teenage girls. Initially, the TechGirls program focused on countries in the Middle East and North Africa. In the summer of 2022, the TechGirls program expanded globally, engaging a talented cadre of STEM-minded young women from the United States and select countries in all six regions of the world (Western Hemisphere, Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe and Eurasia, East Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, and South and Central Asia).
The core of the TechGirls program is a 24-day experience in the United States. In partnership with Virginia Tech, participants engage in an interactive tech camp that provides an in-depth examination of cutting-edge technologies and various educational and professional paths in STEM fields. Then, TechGirls travel to a city around the USA (Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, or Seattle) for community immersion and STEM career exploration. The TechGirls programming yields a multiplier effect as participants return home to conduct community-based projects with seven months of mentorship.
TechGirls is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Eligibility and Application
The 2024 application is open and will close on December 8, 2023 at 12:00 PM (noon) ET.
All TechGirls participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts review applications.
- For international semi-finalists, U.S. embassy personnel in host country/territory of permanent residence conduct interviews.
- For U.S. semi-finalists, Legacy International conducts interviews.
2024 Eligibility Requirements
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are citizens of one of the eligible countries/territories AND living in that country/territory at time of exchange:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, and Zambia
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Türkiye
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Peru, and Suriname
- United States of America
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange on July 13, 2024
- Born on or between July 13, 2006 and July 13, 2009;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM, especially technology;
- Have strong English language skills (advanced intermediate English skills);
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country;
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home; and
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (for instance, U.S. citizens are not eligible for a J-1 visa).
- Eligible candidates must be citizens and current residents of participating countries. Third-country nationals permanently living in an eligible country should contact us to determine eligibility prior to applying.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff. U.S. Department of State employees, family members of the administering organization or partner organizations are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
The 2024 TechGirls application is open and will close on December 8, 2023 at 12:00 PM noon ET. All applicants will be notified of their status in March 2024.
Public Health Contingencies
Legacy International works closely with the U.S. Department of State, and local and global health professionals to plan a program that adheres to the best public
Visa fee for international participants
Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
Roundtrip domestic airfare from participant home city (as applicable)
Housing during program
Double occupancy dormitory accommodations at Virginia Tech
Double occupancy accommodations at hotel in Washington, D.C.
Meals during program
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Local transportation to group program events
Cultural events organized by Legacy International
Thank you for visiting Rising Africa, the blog that celebrates African success stories and shares life-changing opportunities for the African youth. We are passionate about empowering the next generation of African leaders and innovators with the knowledge and skills they need to thrive in the global arena.
One of the ways we do this is by providing you with the latest information on scholarships and funding opportunities that can help you pursue your academic, professional, and entrepreneurial goals. Whether you are looking for undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate scholarships, or funding for your startup and business ideas, we have something for you. Check out our scholarship and funding page to find out more and apply today. Don’t miss this chance to make your dreams come true!
To inspire you further, we also feature stories of successful Africans who have benefited from these scholarships and funding opportunities. You can read about their journeys, challenges, and achievements on our blog. Learn from their experiences and get motivated to follow their footsteps. You too can be a Rising African!